The renovation of the facade of the tenement house facing Nowogrodzka Street and restoration of the original colours of the building at Andersa Street. At the same time, the city is renovating the interior woodwork and the entrance door at Żurawia Street.
The tenement house at Żurawia Street
It was built according to the design of Edward Eber in 1911 and it is a fragment of the pre-war frontage of this midtown street. One of the apartments preserved in it, which is full of original elements, will undergo renovation under the supervision of the Office of the Capital Conservator of Monuments, so as to maintain the historic atmosphere of the interior.
In the apartment, the interior door-frame woodwork will be renovated, the parquet will be scraped and varnished, and the plasters will be repaired and painted. Over the years, its functional and spatial layout has changed, but its pre-war division is still visible. After the renovation, the premises will go to the housing stock of the capital city of Warsaw.
The Office of the Capital Conservator of Monuments will also commission the renovation of exceptionally decorative, veneered entrance door to the renovated apartment. Woodwork requires additions and repairs of structures and finishing elements. It will also be necessary to supplement the glazing, recreate the missing details of the upper, glazed part of the door and fragments of the ornament (pearling) around the frame and on the sash.
The tenement house at Nowogrodzka Street
The building was erected in the years 1897-1898 as a three-storied house with a residential attic. In 1913 one additional storey was added. The tenement house survived World War II without major damage. Unfortunately, after the war, the splendid extensions decorating the tops of the façade were demolished. The dominant decorative element of the façade are ceramic tiles, which during restoration works will be cleaned and subjected to treatments destroying algae and microbes.
The façade also has a rich architectural detail made entirely of plaster casts. Originally, it was in light grey, because it was supposed to imitate stone. Currently, this colour is hidden under a layer of patina and dirt, and the details are in some places damaged or completely destroyed and require full restoration treatments. Balconies and their richly decorated balustrades will also be subjected to comprehensive restoration.
Currently, works are carried out on a small fragment of the façade due to the protection of birds that have their habitats there. This year's cost of works from the side of Nowogrodzka Street amounts to over PLN 1 million, and the support provided in the form of a grant by the capital city of Warsaw is PLN 186,670.
Apartment block at Andersa Street
After removing impurities from the plaster fragment, it turned out that originally the front wall had a very bright, creamy colour scheme. Therefore, after the renovation, the façade of the building at 31 Andersa Street will brighten significantly. Chimneys, the cover of the front part of the roof will also be renovated and flashing will be replaced. The work will be completed in autumn 2022. The Capital City of Warsaw donated PLN 167,750 for this renovation. Next year, the housing community plans to continue it.
Andersa Street was marked out after World War II. It was planned as one of the main transport links between Śródmieście and Żoliborz. Originally, it was called Nowomarszałkowska, and in the years 1950-90 its patron was Marceli Nowotko. In the years 1952-56, a complex of apartment blocks with a representative, big-city character was erected along the new artery. It was highlighted by neoclassical elements of the decor.