The winner of this year's Ryszard Kapuściński Award is Jessica Bruder. The jury awarded her book “Nomadland. Surviving America in the Twenty-first Century”, translated by Martyna Tomczak, published by Czarne Publishing House.
The ceremonious gala attended by finalists of the 12th edition of Ryszard Kapuściński Award was held on 11 September in the Studio Theatre in Warsaw.
Jessica Bruder, the author of the best reportage, received a PLN 100,000 award, and a PLN 20,000 prize went to the book’s translator, Martyna Tomczak. All authors-finalists received awards amounting to PLN 5000, and translators – PLN 2000 each.
Nominees for the Award were (names in alphabetical order)
- Jessica Bruder, Nomadland. Surviving America in the Twenty-first Century, translated by Martyna Tomczak, Czarne Publishing House
- Eliane Brum, The Collector of Leftover Souls: Dispatches from Brazil, translated from Portugese by Gabriel Borowski, Jagiellonian University Publishing House
- Jelena Kostiuczenko, Przyszło nam tu żyć. Reportaże z Rosji (This is where we Happen to be Living. Stories from Russia), translated from Russian by Katarzyna Kwiatkowska-Moskalewicz, Czarne Publishing House
- Karolina Sulej, Rzeczy osobiste. Opowieść o ubraniach w obozach koncentracyjnych i zagłady (Personal Belongings. The Role of Clothing in Death Camps and Concentration Camps), Czerwone i Czarne Publishing House
- Matilda Voss Gustavsson, The Club: A Chronicle of Power and Abuse at the Heart of the Nobel Scandal, translated from Swedish by Justyna Czechowska, Wielka Litera Publishing House
About the Award
Established in January 2010 by the Council of the Capital City of Warsaw Ryszard Kapuściński Award is on international award granted yearly for the best reportage book published in Polish during the previous calendar year. The Award aims to put to the fore the most worthwhile books on important contemporary issues, as well as promote thought-provoking reportages that deepen our knowledge and understanding of the world and of other cultures. The Award is a means to pay tribute to Ryszard Kapuściński – an eminent reporter, journalist, publicist and poet, who turned journalism into art, and who spent nearly 60 years in Warsaw.