The city is looking for a partner to manage the eastern Mirów Hall, the so-called “Guard Hall” (Hala Gwardii). It is expected to become a modern market hall combined with a local meeting centre. In mid January, anyone interested in the hall was able to come and visit the place.
“We want the place to become the trading heart of Warsaw, teeming with life. We will restore the hall’s historical function, also taking into account its sporting tradition. The hall is no longer managed by the district, its administration has been taken over by the Warsaw City Property Authority. We will soon invite tenders for the lease of the hall for a short term – lasting until the selection of the final operator,” says Michał Olszewski, Deputy Mayor of Warsaw.
The idea to invite potential investors, media representatives, and residents of Warsaw to visit the hall was an answer to the growing interest in the hall’s future use. For the first time in its history, visitors had the opportunity to see the basement. Entrepreneurs were mainly interested in the procedures and dates of the lease, whereas residents were curious about its new package. In view of the large interest in this matter, the City of Warsaw does not rule out the possibility of organising another open day at the Guard Hall.
The Mirów Halls (Hale Mirowskie) were built at the turn of the 20th Century and until 1944 they had been the biggest large-format commercial indoor centre in the capital. The main products sold there were meat, fish, bread, and fresh vegetables. The buildings survived the siege of Warsaw in a practically intact condition, but they were severely affected during the Warsaw uprising. The western hall was put into use in 1962 and until today has performed a commercial function. The eastern hall, already rebuilt by 1953, belonged to the Militia Sports Club “The Guard”, and for many years performed the function of a sports and entertainment centre.