The 33rd final gala of the contest Warsaw in the Flowers and Greenery has been held in Teatr Nowy. The prizes were awarded by the contest organisers: The Mayor of Warsaw and the Society of Friends of Warsaw.
Awards were handed out on 28th August to the winners chosen from 230 contest participants from all districts of Warsaw. The greatest number of contestants originated from the Praga-Południe District.
“- Celebrating with you the announcement of the results of the 33rd edition of the contest, I would like to, above all, express my deep admiration and respect for the dedication and creativity who make our city both beautiful and friendly. I would also like to congratulate the participants and organisers of the contest and wish that their enthusiasm for embellishing Warsaw with flowers and greenery never fades,” said Jarosław Jóźwiak, the Deputy Mayor, during the contest gala.
The Mayor’s Awards were presented to:
• in the “human” category, for plants which can be grown on a balcony, windowsill or home garden: 1st place – Zygmunt Gasiuk (Żoliborz), 2nd place – Krystyna Lenartowicz (Żoliborz), 3rd place – Teresa Jasińska (Praga-Północ).
• in the “neighbours” category, for neighbourhood and communal initiatives - the ability to communicate well and organise neighbourhood initiatives: 1st place – communal garden "The Garden on Paca Street” (Praga-Południe), 2nd place – Katarzyna Romańczuk (Śródmieście), 3rd place – the communal garden at “Fort Bema” (Bemowo).
• in the company/institution category, for the zeal of private company owners, institutions, cooperatives or housing communities that go beyond the conventional aesthetic solutions: 1st place – the Pasta Restaurant (Praga-Południe), 2nd place - Housing Community “Dzieci Warszawy 25A and 25 B” (Ursus), 3rd place - Housing Community “Pod Koroną Alei Rzeczypospolitej 12” (Wilanów).
The Stefan Starzyński Award was received by the Housing and Building Cooperative “Nowy Świat” (Śródmieście).
The Society of Friends of Warsaw also awarded prizes.
• Balconies, loggias and windows
Małgorzata and Włodzimierz Budnicki (Praga-Południe)
Anna Lewczuk (Praga-Północ)
Adam Szewczyk (Mokotów)
• Home gardens
Małgorzata Traczyk (Mokotów)
Edward Grygo (Praga-Północ)
Joanna Staszewska (Ursus)
• Buildings and community green areas
Special Schools Complex No. 91 (Praga-Północ)
Kindergarten No. 18 (Targówek)
The A. Tymowski Social Welfare Centre (Śródmieście)
• Other types of urban greenery
Monika Chmielewska (Praga-Południe)
Amigos Restaurant (Praga-Południe)
The Błękitny Zakątek Restaurant (Ursynów)
• Housing estates
Spółdzielnia Mieszkaniowa “Przyczółek Grochowski” (Praga-Południe)
Spółdzielnia Budowlano-Mieszkaniowa Pracowników Kultury (Praga-Południe)
Wspólnota Mieszkaniowa “Zielony Nugat III” (Ursynów)
• Mister Flower Title
The University of Warsaw, the University of Warsaw Library (Śródmieście)
Marianna Grala (Włochy)
Henryk Myśliwiec (Ursus)
• Special Warsaw Award
Warsaw Waste Management
The Ursus District Office, City of Warsaw
Jadwiga Kamińska, Ewa Celińska (Ursus)
The magazine Zwykłe Życie recognised the Miejsca Aktywności Społecznej “3 pokoje z kuchnią” communal garden (Białołęka).
Photographs of the awarded objects will be available at the end of October. The photographs taken by Grzegorz Broniatowski can be viewed at the fence of the University of Warsaw Botanic Garden at 4 Aleje Ujazdowskie Street.
Further info on www.warszawawkwiatach.pl